Unleashed is the inventory management software that we recommend most frequently and is one of the few Xero inventory apps that is available to manufacturers.
It's well integrated with Xero, and an excellent tool for those who deal with high volume, extensive ranges of inventory, and multiple currencies or locations.
Unleashed can manage the entire stock process including:
Note: You may wonder why we recommend Unleashed when Xero has an inventory capability. Xero's inventory capability is relatively limited and not always well suited unless you are just starting out or hold low inventory value.
Key Benefits and Features
- Multiple Warehouses allows you to track exactly where your inventory is at any given point in time.
- Multiple Currencies for both purchases and sales show the true costs of your products.
- Purchase Order costing system will help accurately reflect the average landed cost of your products.
- Awesome reporting tools including margin, product, and customer group analysis.
- A mobile app for your sales team to cut down on paperwork and double-handling.
- Reorder and restock levels let you order with confidence.
- Unit Sales reporting lets you predict trends and movement volumes in your products.
- Several eCommerce integrations are available to sell your products online directly out of your warehouse.
- You can easily organise the purchase of your products off the back of a new sales order using the Order Management feature.
- Serial numbers and Batch tracking/Expiry tracking for monitoring your product movements.
We just can't stress enough how powerful the reporting that comes with Unleashed is, and there myriad of different ways this information can be used to drive business improvement.
Which businesses is it well suited for?
We've found Unleashed broadly well-suited to most businesses in the following industries:
- Food & Beverage
- Wineries, Breweries, Distilleries
Unless you have fairly specific requirements, it's likely that Unleashed is an option that ought to be considered; and even then, the feature set is such that your needs are probably catered to.
Which businesses may experience limitations?
Software isn't a one-size fits all scenario, and there a few businesses we've found that Unleashed doesn't suit quite so well:
- Labour-driven manufacturers – while you do have the ability to add non-product costs to manufacturing, these are not driven from actual time (that is, you can't timesheet, which you wouldn't generally expect inventory management to do anyway).
- Custom manufacturers – for those such as aluminum joiners, double glaziers, and joiners, the variations in your products aren't easily managed.
Workarounds do exist, and in some circumstances these are easily managed without any major implications. In that case, you may still like to weigh up whether Unleashed would fit.
Handy Tips and Tricks
- Use the Unit Sales report to set your reorder points for the stock you order frequently.
- Ensure you include your units of measure in your product setup (it’s easier than trying to do it later).
- Run a sales enquiry by salesperson with a Quote Enquiry as a discussion point for weekly sales meetings.
- Set up a custom grid view in your backorder enquiry to visually see what’s ordered vs what you can fulfill now vs what has gone out the door.
- Want to know the value of sales that have been made but are yet to be fulfilled? Just run a Sales Order Report.
- Or, perhaps you’d like to know the value of sales fulfilled yet to be invoiced? Then you’d run a Backorder Enquiry.
- Populate the underused Region field in your customer information to view sales and margin reports by region. How you break these up depends on how and to whom you sell.
- Why does your stock on hand not match your Xero? Well, this can be complex, but the most common reasons often relate to currency conversion and timing differences.
- Use dynamic pricing to update your product prices in a single place and have your price lists updated across your different customers.
- Do you deliver to your customers yourself? Put the full delivery address in the ‘Delivery Name’ field and quickly print a list of deliveries for each day.
- Modify your .docx templates to allow for drop-shipping by displaying your customer address on your supplier purchase order template.
Unleashed is our preferred cloud inventory management option for a range of reasons and we offer both Do-It-Yourself and Guided implementation and support programmes. Along with a great User Experience and intuitive layout, it provides a very powerful set of features that are well suited to most real-time inventory management requirements.
As you’d expect, Unleashed provides a lot of further information on their website or if you’d like a bit of personal insight, then one of our team will be happy to run through the ins and the outs of how Unleashed can work for your business.